Editors are paid by the time they spend editing tasks and/or reviewing jobs.
Although the hourly rates for Reviews are fixed, the paid tasks hourly rate for each Editor in each language pair is updated daily depending on the quality and speed in delivered on tasks. If an Editor stays away from the platform for a while, his/her hourly pay rate stays the same: it doesn't change. When an Editor logs in again and starts working, it will then be re-calculated based on the editor's latest tasks.
For example: when an Editor works very fast but provides poor translations, he/she won't have a high hourly rate.
Same thing applies with an editor who takes too long to complete every task, regardless of the quality he/she delivers.
Please note that quality is always assessed internally, either automatically by our system or by our Linguists.
There are a few things you can do in order to improve your hourly rate:
- Improve quality. Make sure you provide good translations. Double check spelling, grammar and ensure the correct use of language and understanding of the source text. Check out our Language Guidelines to get valuable tips on that!
- Speed-up! The faster you deliver quality Tasks, the higher your productivity will be.
- Skip Tasks that you find difficult to complete. Sometimes it makes sense to skip a particular task and not spend much time on it. Skipped tasks are not taken into account when calculating your hourly rate.
- One of the Unbabel's main principles is "people first, quality foremost". We care about our Editors Community and are happy to help you raise your hourly rate, but we need to be sure that you really care about the quality of the delivered Tasks too. Jobs with poor quality will not only affect your hourly rate, but also will have an impact on the whole Community, causing Customer complaints and, as a result, decreasing number of jobs for the Community.
- Editors suspected of trying to trick the system and delivering low quality Tasks are breaching the Unbabel's Terms of Service can be suspended or banned.