1. Am I able to choose which tasks I want to be evaluated?
No. All tasks are picked randomly from your latest tasks done at the language pair evaluated, so the rating is unbiased for every Editor.
2. I'm a Trainee Editor and I have finished 10 training tasks in a language pair, when I will be evaluated?
After you work on the 10 training tasks they will be sent to evaluations. Depending on demand, your evaluations should take up at most, two weeks - there are exceptions.
3. What's the rating criteria?
Our Evaluators rate each of the five tasks selected based on a "1 to 5" rating criteria. Our platform automatically calculates the average, which is the final score.
4. Can I see the full evaluation results?
For training tasks, you will only receive your final score (an average of the five tasks). In the case of paid tasks, besides the final score, you will also get general comments from our Evaluators.
5. Can I see the feedback for my evaluation results?
For paid tasks evaluations, you can. Just go to your dashboard and click on "Evaluations".
Unfortunately, full reports are no longer available on trainee evaluations — in any case, all evaluations are done according to our Language Guidelines: please find them here.
6. Am I eligible to be evaluated in more than one language pair?
Yes. As long as you have 10 tasks completed in the language pair referred, you are eligible to be evaluated by our system.
7. May I share details of my results with others?
No. According to our Terms of Service the pages and content on this platform are protected by copyright and may not be copied, distributed, modified, published, or transmitted in any manner.
8. I've been a professional translator for over 10 years, why didn't I pass the evaluation?
Sometimes we select tasks that were done by you at different times. We may have picked a task where you didn't pay careful attention to minor errors such as punctuation, or you may have made a translation that conflicted with the naturalness desired for the text. Note that our error tolerance varies depending on level and language pair.
9. I already have access to paid tasks and my rate 4.9 rating, am I going to be evaluated again?
All Editors, no matter what role, are evaluated. Regular quality checks ensure that quality translation is always delivered, and ratings given by the Community doesn't represent Unbabel's opinion.
10. I received a message saying I failed the evaluation. How and when can I request to be evaluated one more time?
It depends if the language pair is open or not. If it is, you will have to wait at least 30 days until you can be evaluated again.
11. I would like to dispute my evaluation result.
Sorry, we are unable to reconsider our decision at this point.
12. Does Unbabel apply the same score criteria to all language pairs?
The same rating process and criteria are applied to every evaluation, but each language pair applies a different minimum score to Editors accessing paid tasks.
13. I'm a trainee Editor. When will my language pair open for evaluation?
Each language pair has a capacity of Paid Editors, based on the demand of Unbabel translation requests. If your language pair isn't currently open, don't worry - we'll be sure to open it as soon as we can.
14. My rating is already ok, I don't want/need to be evaluated.
Evaluations are not optional and provide valuable information for Unbabel. While community ratings can give you an idea of your translation quality, they can be biased or lack consistency. Evaluations are unbiased, objective quality checks designed to keep delivering our customers the best translation possible. We cannot predict when you will be evaluated.
15. What are the color markers on an evaluated text?
The color highlighting shows the changes you have done to the machine-translated text you have edited. Gray shows the words/letters you have deleted, and yellow marks the words/letters you have added to the text.